How to Migrate your Site to a New Host with All in One WP Migration
I recently switched over to a new host (thanks to a great deal from SiteGround, our favorite web host). Since I spent a lot of time on my site’s redesign this year, I obviously didn’t want to start from scratch. If you’re in the same boat, here’s how to quickly move all the information from your old site on to your new host’s WordPress install (i.e. “migration”) using All in One WP Migration from ServMask.
In this tutorial, I’m assuming that your old hosting hasn’t yet expired, and that you’ve already purchased a new plan and installed WordPress on your new host.
- Login to your existing site’s dashboard by going yourdomain.com/wp-admin.
- Select “Plugins” > “Add New” from the left side menu.
- Search for “All in one WP Migration” in the top right hand search field, then click “Install Now” when you find the correct plugin from ServMask.
- Click “Activate Plugin”.
- Find the new option for “All in One WP Migration” and select “Export”.
- Click “Export To” and then select the option for “File”.
- After the plugin has run, click the option in the pop-up window to download your site. The file that downloads will end in an extension
.wpress. Changing this extension name will cause the migration to fail, so leave it as is.
- Repeat steps 1-4 on your new WordPress install that’s supported by your new post.
- On your new WordPress site, select “Import” under the menu for “All in One WP Migration”.
- Drag the
.wpressfile you dowloaded from your original site into the drag and drop window to start the import.
- Once the file has finished importing click “Continue”. Since this is a new install, you don’t need to worry about anything being overwritten.
- Once you receive confirmation that that your import has been successful, logout of your dashboard, then log back in. Don’t forget, you’ve imported all the data from your old site, which includes your old password.
- On the left side menu, select “Settings”>”Permalinks”, then click “Save Changes”. It’s unnecessary to edit any of the default permalink structure information.
- That’s it! Check your new site to make sure everything looks correct.
Add a comment