How to Install a New WordPress Theme
Installing a new theme on your WordPress site is one of the most basic tasks for any WordPress user. In this quick guide, we’ll walk you though how to do just that with any premium theme. If you need some help selecting the right theme for your project before you’re ready to tackle installation, check out our step by step guide to Choosing a Well-Built WordPress Theme.
- Login to your WordPress site.
- Select “Appearance > Themes” from the left dashboard menu, then click “Add New”.
- Search the theme repository for a free theme you think will work well for your site, or if you’ve purchased a premium theme and have already downloaded the .zip file from the theme vendor, click “Upload Theme”.
- Click “Choose File”.
- Select the .zip file containing your new theme. If you have already unzipped the theme file, you will need to re-download it from your theme vendor as a .zip file or compress it into a .zip.
- Click “Install Now”.
- Once your theme is installed, click “Activate”. This will mean this new theme will replace your old theme, so any theme specific changes you’ve made might not transfer over.
- That’s it! You’ll automatically be re-directed to “Appearance > Themes”. Check to make sure that you have the correct theme activated, then click “Visit Site” to see how your new site looks.