Recover WordPress Password: Get a Password Reset Email
In this Quick Guide, we’ll help you get a WordPress password reset email. With that email from your WordPress site, you should be able to recover your WordPress password. It’s not a perfect system, but if you’re unable to log into a WordPress site because you forgot your password, this should help immensely. If you have access to the email address in question.
When a WordPress Password Reset Email May Fail You
Sometimes your WordPress site can’t send an email because of a server configuration. Sometimes you don’t know *any* email address for *any* WordPress admin on a site. If either of those are true for you, you’ll probably need a different solution than what this one covers. Fortunately, we do have another way you can change your WordPress admin password. It uses a tool called “phpMyAdmin.” And this Quick Guide explains that:
How to Recover WordPress Password, by Resetting; on video
So you want to recover a WordPress admin password? This video explains the simple procedure using the reset password flow that is baked into WordPress:
Looking for written instructions instead. Scroll on for our step-by-step guide on how to recover WordPress login information.
Steps to Recover WordPress Admin Password
- On the WordPress site you’d like to be able to log in to. Go to the login page. If you don’t know how to find it, it’s usually at
example.com/wp-login.phpbut we do have Quick Guide on the topic of finding the WP login page.
- On the page (right under the box asking for your credentials) you’ll click the “Lost your password?” link.
- On the linked page, enter either the email address or username connected to the account you’re trying to access. (You’ll need access to the email address connected to the account, which WordPress will send a password reset email to.)
- After submit, check your email inbox. It should come pretty quick, but if you’re waiting more than a minute a look at your “Spam” folder may be necessary.
- Click the link from that email. It should take you to a page on your site where you’ll set a new password for this WordPress admin account.
- After setting the password, all that’s left to do is log in with the just-set password.
And there you have it! With the WordPress password reset email flow you should back up-and-running. Good luck!