WordPress 4.9 Field Guide
There are lots of new things happening to WordPress in 4.9. Nothing Gutenburg-level (that waits until next year) but stuff that is useful and good and consequential. Some of the highlights:
- Changesets in the customizer can now be scheduled or saved as drafts
- There is now a Gallery Widget
- Theme Panels in the customizer are improved
- Code editing in the admin area is way nicer
- Press This (which was a silly feature for 95% or site owners) is no longer in core
I welcome all of these changes. Even the enhancements to the code editor. Because while I’d love that people just stopped using it, I can’t argue that I regularly see that people are. It’s not the best idea, but it’s better to have a better experience.
With Release Candidate 2 in the wild now, it shouldn’t be long now before it full releases.